I’m releasing another WordPress theme, Upstart Blogger Modio, now compatible with WordPress 2.3. In keeping with my other WordPress themes, this theme is designed to be:
- Minimalist: Very clean, spacious and easy to read.
- Fast: Lightweight, for speed.
- Ad-friendly: The columns are sized specifically to accept standard ad formats.
- Easy to install: You can install without plugins, though four plugins are recommended and included.
- Easy to use: Includes a CSS rollover side menu or can be used with a widgetized side menu.
- Flexible: Includes an optional home page.
Here’s a preview (click to enlarge):
You can also view the demo.
You can download the theme, Upstart Blogger Modio, by clicking here.
Be sure to subscribe to Upstart Blogger to be notified of updates!
- Open the UpstartBloggerModio folder, then upload the ub_modio folder to your WordPress theme folder.
- Open the Plugins folder inside the UpstartBloggerModio folder. Open the contents to your WordPress plugins folder. Read the readme files for installation instructions.
- To select the theme, go to the Presentations tab of your WordPress admin and select Upstart Blogger Modio.
Four plugins are recommended and are included. Here are the links, if you want to check that you have the latest versions:
- The home page is optional. If you’d rather not use this, just rename or delete home.php.
- You should set the Popularity plugin to not display popularity of posts. It’s used just to create a list of featured posts. See the plugin readme for instructions.
- You may use either the CSS rollover menu as your sidebar or, if you have widgets turned on, the dynamic (but static) sidebar. The CSS rollover menu is fixed so it will not scroll with the window. Because of this, you should be careful about adding content which could make this menu too long to be visible in small browser windows.
- There’s a DIGG button which does not require any plugins. If you’d rather not include it you can open single.php and delete:
This WordPress theme is released under the Creative Commons Attribution v3.0, meaning you can do pretty much whatever you want with it, but you should (please) keep the link back to Upstart Blogger, either in the sidebar or the footer. See the README for details.
0.1 First released 05.14.07.
0.2 Updated 05.29.07. Changes:
- Edited the footer to automatically assign copyright to the blog title.
- Fixed the sidebar so it should work properly with widgets in WordPress 2.2.
- Fixed the sidebar so a static sidebar appears when viewed in IE6.
- Fixed the comment bubble so it displays properly when the cite wraps to more than one line.
- Fixed the footer alignment problem (at least, I’ve got my fingers crossed).
- Removed unused #dynamic_sidebar selectors from the CSS file (I just left these in by mistake in the first version).
0.3 This is just an update to add tags to the meta information for individual posts, making it compatible with WordPress 2.3. The rollover menu should now work in IE7 (but not IE6, which doesn’t support this feature).
0.4 Updated 10.09.07. This fixes archive.php so tag archives display properly.